[MVLUG] Install Fest 2k7 FALL

Shaun Hadfield syrrus at epop3.com
Wed Aug 22 17:12:37 MDT 2007

Quoting Joe Pfeiffer <joseph at pfeifferfamily.net>:

> I actually meant so you could try taking a Vista machine, reformat the
> disk, install Linux, and make sure there was a known-good procedure
> before the install fest.  I was figuring you could probably use a shop
> machine as a guinea pig, and be able to make several tries with a
> Vista reinstall after disasters.

Oh...  well like I said I intend to test dual-boot scenarios with my
notebook once I've have a chance to backup my WinXP partition.  If
we're concerned about the safety of the original Vista install, I can
use Acronis to resize the disk.  As far as reinstalling Vista after a
full format... Yeah I can do a Vista reinstall with a generic disc so
long as an internet connection is on hand to pull in drivers and some
replacement apps.  This is assuming that the machine doesn't have a
restore partition that we can just leave alone during the Linux
installation.  This is generally not a desired situation though, since
I can't replace everything on site (namely, proper CD/DVD writer
software, DVD playback software, original anti-virus, etc.)

Ultimately, we should be able to just push back the cylinder boundary
on the Vista install and add Linux partitions.  Should things go
south, resize the Vista partition back to normal, no harm, no foul.

--Shaun
syrrus at epop3.com