[MVLUG] Install Fest 2k7 FALL

Don McCoy don2718 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:58:59 MDT 2007

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Actually the one thing we need to be most sure we've got figured out
> in advance is how to dual-boot Vista and Linux (I've seen instructions

Oh dear.  Am I the only one that has gone down this path already (and
gotten burned in the process)?  Here's the short version:

    1) Boot new computer, let it do all of it's initial setup stuff, etc...
    2) Fail to make a set of recovery disks.
    3) Resize main partition, install linux
    4) Try to boot computer and cry (recall step 2).
    5) Call HP, patiently explain what it means to "resize a partition"
and eventually convince him that even the HP Recovery Utilities,
normally accessed by hitting F12 after the BIOS screen or somesuch, was
also fragged beyond recognition.
    6) With HP's eventual authorization, was allowed (nay, privileged)
to be allowed to part with $15 of my money to get the DVD that (I think)
I should have gotten in the box with the computer (but what do I know...)
    7) Where was I?
    8) Oh yeah, wait a week and half for said DVD.
    9) Install Vista again (it took hours)
    10) /Bought a second hard drive/
    11) Slapped it in there and put linux on its own partition on it's
own drive

Lesson?  AFAICT, the latest windows offering does not wish to play
nice.  Haven't checked lately to see if partition tools have been
updated to address these issues.  My advice is to avoid them.  Use a
second hard disk, or run linux through a VM (then it is just a file on
the NT partition, right?).

I'd also say that we caution people appropriately, help make backups
where needed, caution people appropriately again, then also make sure we
make the recovery CDs.  (Or hope everyone has older computers with WinXP
on them... :-\ )

Hope this helps.  Moreover, I know we all like fiddling with technical
problems and such, but we need to make sure we don't leave a student
laptop-less under any circumstances.  Oh well, I'm sure I'm preaching to
the choir here, but I wanted to make sure it was said.  :)

Don