[MVLUG] Install Fest 2k7 FALL

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Thu Aug 23 15:20:38 MDT 2007

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Mars DeLapp writes:
>
>> Then you can boot into your favorite OS and do everything you need to do. And
>> when you have some task that you have not figured out how to do using free
>> software (yet), you can boot up the VM without having to shut down and reboot.
>
> Good solution for people who are already Linux users; bad solution for
> suggesting to a student who grew up on Windows but wants to dual-boot
> because their coursework at NMSU will be Linux-based.

The big problem with dual boot is you can't use both systems at the same time.

Another good solution is dual computers with a KVM switch, but that is close to double the hardware cost. And if you are
using laptops, you have to carry around two of them ;)

So maybe the better solution for the newbie is to run a Gnu/Linux virtual machine on windows? I have never done that so
I am not sure of the issues you might encounter.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering®
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Rd Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com