[MVLUG] Correcting some Mythinformation (sorry)

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Wed May 2 10:26:22 MDT 2007

rotering at animalcules.com writes:

>Also, the audio on that troublesome DVD worked fine for me at home.
>It's possible that the speaker jack on the back of my machine is
>flaky.  Probably just gremlins, though.

Also, of course, we'd already demonstrated that the stereo we were
using was flaky.  I find myself wondering if SH118B (the room next
door) might not be better, due to its A/V system.  It's not really set
up as a conference room, though...

I wound up spending far too much time last night playing with mythtv.
Some observations:

(1) Make sure you've got a working mysql server before you try to
    install mythtv.  The machine I was working on didn't have mysql,
    and trying to install both in a single aptitude session probably
    cost me well over an hour all by itself.

(2) I think they've really gotten a little too extreme in trying to
    create a PVR appliance.  In addition to the notes Don was making
    about trying to throw too much into a single application, it
    really doesn't work well with other applications in an X
    environment.  For example, it doesn't respond to mouse clicks.
    Its default configuration is full-screen; if you set it to a
    smaller size and put it into a window, it doesn't resize the
    window to match the content you're viewing.  Since my normal mode
    of operation at home is to be working while a Grateful Dead
    concert is running in a corner of the display, this is a problem!
    Trying to configure weather is just painful:  if there's a way to
    pick your city other than scrolling, I didn't come across it -- I
    spent several minutes, and had gotten roughly to Abilene, when I
    gave up.

    Is there a way to configure channels without having a tuner card?
    I was interested in playing with zap2it, so I got an account and
    ran mythfilldatabase, but any attempt to browse listings got a
    message saying no channels were defined so the grid would be
    empty, followed by a segfault.

In general, it looks like they've done an outstanding job of what they
set out to do.  I wish they'd done just slightly more of what I'd like
it to be, though!