[MVLUG] Correcting some Mythinformation (sorry)

Samat Jain lists at samat.org
Wed May 2 16:37:42 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 14:37, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> This is something I really don't understand:  the whole idea of sql
> was supposed to be a universal RDBS language; an application ought to
> be able to just connect to whatever server you want (postgresql,
> mysql, oracle) and not be db-specific.  Didn't work out that way,
> though I haven't looked into why...

SQL only standardizes the query language (and does not do a practically useful
job at that either...), it says nothing about connecting to the database, how
results should be returned, etc.

ODBC is a standardized way to connect to databases on Microsoft Windows, but
it's not very popular on Linux. Various languages (Java, Python, Perl, etc)
have their own standardized ways to connect and work with databases, but
unfortunately not C++, with which MythTV is written.

They don't look too interested in adding SQLite support either:

* including support for SQLite (or PostgresSQL) might make configuration
simpler for machines that are only running MySQL for MythTV anyways - MySQL
configuration is a common source of problems for new users -- Won't Implement
(SQLite can't cope, switching to internal mysql is more likely) --GBee 18:52,
28 January 2007 (UTC)

from
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Feature_Wishlist_%28Backend_Addons%29

--
Samat Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x1A1993D3
Partner, Chief Technology Officer | Rhombic Networks, LLC

A great nation is any mob of people which produces at least one honest man a
century.
-- Anonymous (403)