[MVLUG] Dell and ATI OH NOE!

Jonathan A. Lindsey jlindsey at 3drc.com
Tue May 29 08:15:36 MDT 2007

So I'm trying to decide on which laptop I should get to replace the one
I just sold.  The one I've been thinking about is a DELL 6400.
Unfortunately they changed the video card in this one just recently and
I can no longer get the nvidia chipset video card, it's the ati x1400.
I am wondering if anyone has a better suggestion for a laptop.  I know
that Shaun has this laptop and had problems getting the video card to
work.  I found some information that may help him I'd like to hear his
thoughts.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_X1400
if you wanna test those x settings out, if the proprietary driver does
work, then maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.  On the other hand
I could get a macbook, the 13incher but I'm not so sure I want such a
small screen for the same price I could buy a 15 inch screen.
-Jonathan