[MVLUG] Dell and ATI OH NOE!

Samat Jain lists at samat.org
Thu May 31 13:54:52 MDT 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 12:05:04 pm Jonathan A. Lindsey wrote:
> Unfortunately IBM's notebook section is now owned by Lenovo.  They are
> in china, and where I work it would not be a good thing.  China is still
> the enemy you know.

Please find a notebook containing parts _not_ made in China...

I'd like to avoid starting a political flame war, but is there really a
difference between:
* a notebook containing parts made in China, assembled by an American company
* a notebook containing parts made in China, assembled by a Chinese company
(note: Lenovo's design and ThinkPad division does lie in North Carolina, USA)

From a philosophical point of view, either way, you're helping the Chinese
economy and by proxy the Chinese government...

From a defense point of view, the component parts (and not plastic casing,
build quality, etc) are those most likely to be compromised by a foreign
government, so you're almost just as likely to be giving secrets away to the
Chinese...

--
Samat Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x1A1993D3
Partner, Chief Technology Officer | Rhombic Networks, LLC

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.
-- Anonymous (394)