[MVLUG] booting from USB

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Thu Feb 28 21:17:38 MST 2008

Shaun Hadfield writes:

>That being said, a cd-rom is capable of emulating both a hard disk and a
>floppy disk when being booted from.  In fact the most common method for
>bootable CDs, at least home-brewed, is to write a 1.44MB image with the
>boot material (and a cd-rom driver), and boot from that in floppy
>emulation mode.  Perhaps there is a way to write the boot sector of a
>flash stick to operate in a similar way?  I've done no tinkering in this
>dept. at all.

And I've decided it's a time sink with no sign of actually being
successful.  It just doesn't seem like the BIOSes on the machines I've
got "really" support booting from a USB mass storage device.

But...  one of the ones I tried today was Damn Small Linux (which has
an "install to USB" option).  I'd forgotten what an incredibly nice
distribution that is for a brand-new user, and how easily it can be
used for a Debian install.  Easier, believe it or not, than Ubuntu
(while actually telling you what's going on), and it comes up with a
good tutorial on the screen.  I'm trying to figure out what it does as
an X configuration file -- whatever it is, it works much better than
the one I've currently got on my laptop (which takes upwards of a
minute to switch between text an X mode).