[MVLUG] speaking of meetings...

Don McCoy don2718 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:17:02 MDT 2008

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>   I see the "what's a
> distribution" topic as being in that vein, but in a slightly different
> direction.

Well I wasn't nay saying by any means.  Just trying to correct what I
think I meant to say.  Really I'm up for anything that people want to
hear.  And I agree with your statement in regards to the
voip/mythtv-type talks as being the most successful and interesting ones
we've had.

But I can tell from the near deafening silence that people would
probably respond better to a multiple choice list as we have done in the
past.  Perhaps we should start a fresh one.

   1. Package Management -- what it is, why it matters and how it is
      handled by several popular distributions. (beginner to
      intermediate topic)
   2. Intro to Free Software on Linux/GNU Systems -- a look at popular
      software packages and an even briefer look at how to use them.
      (beginner topic)
   3. The Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Protocol -- Open standards that
      are platform-, OS- and programming-language-independent.  Used for
      networking consumer electronics among other things.  A practical
      example being how to play your music that is stored on your PC
      through your stereo (in addition to internet-based radio
      stations!).  Another example would be viewing photos or videos
      from the PC on your TV. (beginner topic)
   4. <--- your topic here --->

Can anyone suggest others?

Joe, please correct the description of your topic if I've maligned it in
some way!  ;)

Looking forward to an interesting series of meetings this year folks.

Don