[MVLUG] speaking of meetings...

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Sep 11 21:48:21 MDT 2008

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> That wasn't *quite* what I meant -- more moving from
> beginner->advanced during the year.

Maybe this is something that was discussed at a meeting I wasn't at, so
I'll put in my belated 2 cents. I want to emphasize that I don't have
strong feelings about this - I'm pretty laid back about it all - but
it's just an observation.

I think LUG growth is best facilitated by two things: welcoming new
members and ignoring them. Ok, so that's a shock-treatment sentence. By
ignoring them I mean the best thing to do is for the active participants
to learn and share with eachother. Do what we know best. New members
will, if they feel welcomed, soon become active participants (or get
bored). The more a LUG tries to cater to the mysterious nebulous
"newbies" that are just around the corner the more newbies and oldies
alike slip through their fingers.

Of course I'm not saying ignore newbies - we should actively seek their
input and if we even get a hint of an idea from one we should definitely
pursue it. But it's like Schrödinger's cat - we just need to open those
boxes and cater to the cats that end up alive.

My own personal approach is to lurk, pitch in here and there, go to
meetings that sound interesting to me when I can make them, and offer to
present on topics I know about when I perceive an interest in them. The
above is simply my observation based on experience in other successful LUGs.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach