[MVLUG] distros that don't set library links (ie .so -> .so.1.2.3)

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:08:10 MDT 2008

Hello knowledgable folks,

I've got a basic question about shared libraries on Linux: Shouldn't
there always be a link from .so pointing to the particular version
installed/used?  For example, I recall Mandrake linux a few years ago
shipped 9.x without such links, and nothing compiled until you
manually went through and created the links, or wrote a program/script
to do it.

Now am having the same problem on Suse linux.  Half the libs are so.1
etc, ie specific version only, without the link from .so -> .so.1.2.3,
for example.  Is this considered a bug, or what?

Am working on a system that don't have root priveleges on, so normally
the solution would be to make the links in my $HOME and set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where those links exists, but
the installers I'm working with switch shells and what-not so that the
env variable is lost.

But my basic question is: Shouldn't distros create those links during
installation?

Thanks
Charles

--
AsymptopiaSoftware | Software at theLimit
 www.asymptopia.org