[MVLUG] Mesilla Valley Linux Users Group meeting today

Shaun Hadfield syrrus at cesmail.net
Mon Oct 5 22:33:03 MDT 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> 	I enjoyed the talk, which was way over my head, but I think I heard
> that the good VirtualBox software runs only on Windows. It was said
> the Linux Version is far inferior to the commercial version.
>
> 	I will try the Ubuntu version on the Karmic system and see how that
> works.

Well...sort of.  What happens on Linux is that there is the open-
source code, and then there is the commercial binary.  Both are free
as in beer for private use.  The open source version misses a number
of features, including USB 2.0 support, which are included in the
binary.  As most distributions (understandably) include the open-
source version in their repositories, the default installation is the
less-featured one.  You can download and install the fully-loaded
binary but then you have a tainted system.  Different people have
different tolerances for closed-code on their linux system.

My experience with the Linux commercial binary has generally been
positive, though admittedly the Windows version may be a bit
stronger.  Either package, open-source or commercial, makes a nice VM
for the price.

--Shaun