[MVLUG] No meeting Monday; InstallFest September 11

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Wed Sep 1 16:25:28 MDT 2010

Two quick notes on upcoming Mesilla Valley Linux Users Group
activities:

We won't be having a meeting on Monday, September 6.  While we
ordinarily have a meeting on the first Monday of every month, we're
skipping September because (1) it's Labor Day and (2) we'll be holding
the Fall, 2010 InstallFest on the following Saturday.

InstallFest!  If you're taking classes which require you to use Linux
and you'd like to be able to work at home, or if you're simply
interested in the Linux operating system, come on out to SH 124 on
Saturday, September 11.  The Mesilla Valley Linux Users Group will be
helping people install Linux on their personal computers that
morning.  This is part of our celebration of Software Freedom Day
(http://softwarefreedomday.org/).  SFD is actually the following
Saturday, but that's probably too late in the NMSU semester for
students to get maximum benefit.

What you need:  bring your laptop or desktop computer.  We are likely
to have some keyboards and possibly mice and monitors available, but
if you're bringing a desktop it's a good idea to bring your own
keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

We'll have several copies of Ubuntu Linux, and also several copies of
an Ubuntu virtual machine for use under Windows (if you'd like to try
another version, please send us an email and let us know).  We'll have
a network switch, a wireless access point, and a bunch of volunteers
who've been through the process and have an idea of what to expect.

There is no cost for this, but historically we've taken up a
collection around noon and sent Jonathan out for pizza.  Jonathan has
also volunteered to bring a coffee pot this time, so we'll try to stay
awake!

We'll be starting installs between 10:00 and noon.  We won't be
starting any new installs after noon, but we stay around as long as
necessary for installs that started before noon.

If you have any questions just send me an email.

-Joe Pfeiffer.