[MVLUG] InstallFest -- thanks!

Jonathan Lindsey jlindsey at 3drc.com
Sat Sep 11 21:06:48 MDT 2010

I've been sitting here thinking about the day and how things could be better.  So here are my lessons learned.
1.  Faster switch.
2.  Although the pizza was good, I think in the future pizza hut is a much closer price to donation ratio.
3.  I really think that a sign in sheet would be value added on many levels
    a.  We would know how many people were here
    b.  This would help the FIFO process.  I do not think that we need to work one on one till the problem is done, but it would ensure that everyone gets helped in a timely manner.  I know that I would look up and see people that we greeted in and it had been a while since I talked to them and they hadn't been helped yet.
4.  Thumb drives worked very well.  Don is very correct in that this seems to be possibly the ideal solution, however the last install fest we tried dvd's and they won't work with our image as the image file while importing has to be readable.  I would like to try the network share again (on a faster switch) at least one more time but definitely have thumb drives available.
5.  Longer network cables.  In the past we've not had this problem but we need longer network cables.
6.  We need input from instructors as to what the students are inspecting.  This is the first time in the install fest that we've had someone ask for Fedora.  This was based on an instructors request.  I would have prepared a virtual machine for them if I had known that's what they needed.
7.  I should have installed vmware-guest-additions on the virtual machine.

Can anyone think of anything else?

-Jonathan Lindsey
Network Engineer
3D Research Corporation