[MVLUG] Install Fest Thoughts Part Deux

Jonathan Lindsey jlindsey at 3drc.com
Mon Sep 13 09:39:10 MDT 2010

My girlfriend brought up some points yesterday that I hadn't thought of.

1.  Create a survey.  - My girlfriend thinks that it would be good to have a survey filled out, she suggested online, however I think that a paper one would be better it's hard enough to get new members to join the list.  Things like how long did you wait, would you be interested in more information about linux, did you feel like you walked away with what you came for?  Things of that nature.  Perhaps someone would be willing to put that together?
2.  She also suggested a sign in list, and I was talking to some of my coworkers this morning and I got to thinking about this and I think that we might want to consider creating a pamphlet talking about the differences between virtual machines and dual boot.  Seems like I constantly reiterate myself about the differences between.
3.  We should separate the room into full/dual boot installations and virtual machine installations.  This idea is great if we had room, this past event there wasn't mot much room to do that.
4.  We should have our own area for helpers.  Much like servers in a restaurant I think it would be a good idea to have your area and as you finish with people from your area, you can invite other people off our call in sheet to your area.  I know that we kinda already do this, but I think it would be beneficial to the helpers to keep them in one area and to the "customers" because I know as I bounce around the room I get pulled to other areas, and have to find out what the "customer" was working on before and then give my advice.

5.  This idea just came to me, I think that our next meeting should be a follow up to the install fest.  We should have a flyer that says our next meeting is here at this time and we will open it up to a forum for q/a for the students.  I read an article not to long ago that talks about the conversion to Linux and that people come to the install fest, get Linux installed but then are left in the open, wild environment to fend for themselves and that we as a LUG should nurture and help along people who want help.

More thoughts may follow.

-Jonathan Lindsey
Network Engineer
3D Research Corporation