[MVLUG] Install fest sign-up sheet and exit survey?

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Tue Jan 18 13:01:07 MST 2011

Michael and I discussed on IRC a while back about some problems with the install fest:

 * No hard numbers on how many installs done, what distributions requested, etc
 * Do the install fests advertise MVLUG very well, if at all? How many people from the install fests join or even know about the mailing list?
 * How many people stick with Linux after their class?
 * Various other thoughts from people — did they think they waited too long, did they think we messed up their computer, etc.

I think a good solution to these problems would be a mandatory sign-up list, and an electronic follow-up survey a week after and perhaps another one post-semester.

The sign-up list would be mandatory (i.e. pester people to sign in), and collect name, e-mail address, and sign-in time. A disclaimer along the top would let people know that e-mail addresses were ONLY used for sending a survey a week after and post-semester. Asking for sign-out time would be useful to collect but it's doubtful anyone will write it in on their way out.

The week-after survey would ask what distribution they wanted installed, how long they waited, whether they thought it was too long, whether they came on their own or referred to from a class, and most importantly, explain what MVLUG is and invite them to the mailing list if they have more questions. It should take no more than a minute or two to fill out (10 questions max?).

The post-semester survey would ask how they found Linux, whether they still use it/intend to use it, perhaps whether they are staying engineering, and why they do or don't. I'm not sure whether people would actually respond to a survey that far out in time, but it can't hurt.

Thoughts/ideas?

Samat

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Just once, I wish we would encounter an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets.
-- The Brigader, "Dr. Who" (523)