[MVLUG] Install fest sign-up sheet and exit survey?

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Tue Jan 18 21:20:58 MST 2011

On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 03:23:30 pm Don McCoy wrote:
> I hate to beg the question(s), but I don't see any of these things as being
> problems.  We do this as a service, because it helps people.  We do
> therefore passively advertise the MVLUG, if only to make people aware of its
> existence.  This is enough in my opinion.

I think that's the first time I've seen "beg the question" used correctly so far in 2011!

I may have missed a point I was trying to make: Is the goal here to just install Linux for people, or to get people actually using Linux and other free (libre) and open-source software? IMHO, the former should be a tactic for the latter.

My list of problems (maybe that was a bad word) was to point out the disconnect between whether a Linux install leads to a new user — we have no formal data on how effective any of our effort is.

The reason for more active advertisement, as Jonathan put it, is to let people there is an avenue for "continued support". I really, really doubt that once people get Linux installed they suddenly learned everything there is to learn. That said, I have a bad feeling that many people hit some snag and stop using Linux after a month, if that long. We don't know! And what's worse is that _they_ don't know that there exists a local community to whom they can ask questions.

Samat

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
-- Oscar Wilde (526)