[MVLUG] Install fest sign-up sheet and exit survey?

Jonathan Lindsey jlindsey at 3drc.com
Wed Jan 19 09:28:12 MST 2011

We absolutely need to establish a first in, first out processes.  Last
time my girlfriend heard many complaints about the wait time, especially
in regards to how quickly they were helped before other people.  I know
that I have no clue who's been helped, who was there first during the
event, and if we had a sheet we could go to the sheet and see who's been
helped.

As far as survey, it would be nice to have one but we **absolutely
cannot spam them to join our LUG**.  I think the method of telling them
about the LUG at the end of the install and asking them if they would
like to join would be great.

Joe, if you think that the feb meeting isn't too soon after the install
fest to have a follow up, then let's do it.  We need to make  sure that
people from the install fest know about the meeting, and that we will be
fielding any newbie type questions for the meeting.... if no one shows
up then we'll just hang out.  Maybe some sort of flyer, this could have
information about the next LUG meeting, and how to join the LUG.

Don,
Although the install fest should be about helping people install Linux,
which is our first and foremost priority, we as advocates of open source
should allow the opportunity of continued "communal support".
There are many articles online that talk about people coming to the
install fests and getting linux installed but then go home and have no
idea what to do with it.  Now a majority of our "customers" are using
Linux for a class at NMSU and they will be done with it after the class.
 If our LUG was for profit I would have an issue with using the install
fest as a means to recruit new members, but since our help is free, and
the LUG is definitely not for profit, I see no problems with mentioning
our LUG.  The LUG can only benefit from new members.  I may not see or
understand the downside to this.

Side Notes:
I plan on bringing coffee and making coffee in the morning.  I am not a
creamer and sugar type of person, if you are, please make arrangements,
as I do not have creamer at the house.  This coffee is from CoffeeAM.com
and we will be drinking Organic Santo Domingo *Fair Trade*:
http://www.coffeeam.com/sandombanes5.html

As always with the up-most respect,
Jonathan

- --