[MVLUG] Thanks for coming to the Linux Install Fest! Invitation for survey and mailing list

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Wed Jan 26 21:44:48 MST 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 08:46:23 PM jlaselut at nmsu.edu wrote:
> Hello everyone I actually have a question with the linux program that was
> installed. When I open the program a window pops up and asks me to download
> updates. So are these updates necessary or should I just forget about them and
> keep on using the program? Thanks get back to me as soon as you can.

See Joe's message about your responsibility in keeping systems up to date.

But to directly answer your question: no, they're not necessary. Ubuntu automatically performs security updates (provided you leave the system connected to the Internet long enough), controlled via the unattended-upgrades package.

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

People who have what they want are very fond of telling people who haven't what they want that they don't want it.
-- Ogden Nash (532)