[MVLUG] Thanks for coming to the Linux Install Fest! Invitation for survey and mailing list

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Thu Jan 27 17:35:58 MST 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:45:52 PM Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> >But to directly answer your question: no, they're not
> >necessary. Ubuntu automatically performs security updates (provided
> >you leave the system connected to the Internet long enough),
> >controlled via the unattended-upgrades package.
>
> AFAIK, on my Ubuntu laptop I need to OK installation of security
> upgrades.

Mmm, very important correction: it's apparently NOT enabled for default on desktops!

Make sure unattended upgrades is installed, and select "yes" when asked:

  sudo aptitude install unattended-upgrades
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow unattended-upgrades

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Everything ends badly.  Otherwise it wouldn't end.
-- None (103)