[MVLUG] RSYSLOG discussion

Jonathan Lindsey jlindsey at 3drc.com
Mon Mar 14 11:57:27 MDT 2011

Howdy All,
I wanted to start a discussion on the list about Centralized Logging.

Many of us work in multi computer environments, and we all know that
centralizing your administration is almost always a good thing.  So with
that being said, let's talk about centralized logging.

I personally/professionally use rsyslog to dump my syslog information
into a mysql database.  Then most of the other computers send their
syslog info to that rsyslog server.  The problem with this is what
happens after the data get's stored.  Usually I just ignore the data,
which is not a good thing.  Lately I've been needing to get data out of
this information, such as Access Control List logs and what not.  I have
been writing some custom PHP scripts that access that information, on a
custom administration page that I'm writing as I go.

Do you manage your systems with centralized logging?

If so, what back-end server/services do you use?

What kind of data do you look for within your logs?

-Jonathan

Jonathan Lindsey
Network Engineer Lead
3D Research Corporation