[MVLUG] Topics of Interest from last night's meeting

LD 'Gus' Landis ldlandis at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:06:31 MDT 2011

Hi,

One item that was discussed last night was that one of
the "NoSQL" (Not Only SQL) is the MUMPS environment.

We are developing some interfaces to a medical (GPL'd)
EMR using Sencha Touch (currently one of the latest "hot"
technologies for cell phone based interfaces).

There are several interfaces to MUMPS that present an
work-alike for the Amazon SimpleDB that uses MUMPS
rather than the SimpleDB. The user program doesn't know
that it is not a SimpleDB interface.  I have not delved into
this yet, so probably will not cover that in the limited time
available.

I think that you'll find it interesting.

BTW, MUMPS has been a solid database engine that
has been in production for over 30 years.  It is running
many of the largest banks and other financial institutions
and many medical centers for a long time. Also, the one
we primarily use is available under the AGPL 3.0 license.

Cheers,
  --ldl
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 09:43:05 AM Jonathan Lindsey wrote:
> > IPv6 Discussion
>
> +1 for this, especially since Comcast[1] and T-Mobile[2] have IPv6 trials
> w/ native IPv6 transit. IPv6 is (finally) here and now.
>
>  [1]: http://comcast6.net/
>  [2]: http://groups.google.com/group/tmoipv6beta/topics
>
> Though, without Comcast service or a supported TMO phone, I haven't used
> either. Been using a Terido tunnel (the same as is included with recent Mac
> OS X and Windows 7) and it works fine (e.g. http://ipv6.google.com/works)..
>
> > Configuration of Grub 2 - A tutorial
>
> IMHO, you don't configure GRUB, it configures you. I'm imagining someone
> taking something from the tutorial, going home, and rendering their system
> unbootable. This is like giving a tutorial on swallowing swords.
>
> > NoSQL
>
> What about it? The problem with "NoSQL" is that it's defined as the
> negative of something else, so you cannot give a good generic NoSQL
> presentation. Made worse by the fact that all these databases have their own
> proprietary data models, languages, and interfaces.
>
> > There was also a request for VIM and Emacs again, I suggest waiting a
> > little bit as Dr. Pfeiffer and Samat just did a presentation on them.
>
> My presentation sucked. Part of the problem was that I'm a bit out of touch
> of the need of just-beginning CS students. Also, rather a presentation, this
> should be a workshop with exercises — as problems as encountered,
> demonstrate the best/fastest solutions to them.
>
> > If anyone has any knowledge or would like to speak on these, you can
> > either email the list, or update the wiki page with your name and when
> > you would like to speak.
> > The page is here: http://www.mvlug.org/Presentations
>
> --
> Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA
>
> Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of
> opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of
> increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all
> its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.
> -- Harry S Truman (651)

---
NOTE: If it is important CALL ME - I may miss email,
which I do NOT normally check on weekends nor on
a regular basis during any other day.
---
LD Landis - N0YRQ - de la tierra del encanto
3960 Schooner Loop, Las Cruces, NM 88012
651-340-4007  N32 21'48.28" W106 46'5.80"