[MVLUG] off topic -- federal gun laws: yikes!

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Fri Nov 18 19:21:11 MST 2011

Posting here since quite a few local people I know who are into
firearms are in MVLUG:  I just learned a few minutes ago that the
federal Gun Free School Zone Act (which I'd known had been struck down
by the Supreme Court) was reenacted (with a Commerce Clause fig leaf)
way back in 1995.  While you're welcome to read the wikipedia summary
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990)
the big thing is that without a concealed carry permit you can't
legally carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a school unless it's both
unloaded and in a locked container or rack (and I don't know if the
trunk of a car qualifies as a locked container).

So...  I'll be taking a CCW course ASAP...  googling around a bit, the
chief instructor at http://www.idsccw.com/ is the NMSU Chief of
Police, and somebody I had good interactions with back when I was
Faculty Senate chair.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.                 http://pfeifferfamily.net/
1440 Tierra del Sol Dr                         575.525.2764 (H)