[MVLUG] Test message Response

Samat K Jain samat at samat.org
Fri May 31 19:53:07 UTC 2013

On 05/31/2013 01:34 PM, larry wrote:
> #2 we have a system on Ubuntu 12.4 that they lost their password
> and don't know what it is  I can guess it is 5 letters but can get no
> further please can't use it with out the password any way to find out
> what it is or replace it ?
>  I would be very great full  for some help please on these .
> Thanks Larry and Pam

If it was that easy, there would be no point in having a password…

You need to get a Linux LiveCD (I recommend grml: http://grml.org/),
either create a CD or write it to a USB stick, boot from it, mount your
system as a chroot, and reset the password. If there is nothing
important on the system it may be easier to reinstall.

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA